Monday 29 September 2014

Japanese Cooking Lesson: Amberjack Teriyaki...

Once a month I'm taking part in a Japanese cooking class.  My teacher, a Japanese Grandma, gives the lesson at home and we enjoy our prepared meal in a traditional "Tatami room". I really love this experience. I have the impression during this 3 hours to be very close to the Japanese way of life.
Most of the time I appreciate the taste of the different dishes but I'm even so shocked about the amount of sugar they contain. I even thought that Japanese's food is very healthy?!
Anyway, if I should give you the name of the dish I really enjoyed it would be the "Japanese Amberjack (Yellowtail) Teriyaki". The one in the middle of the plate...




And this is is the way we prepared it:

*Ingredients

2 Filets Japanese Amberjack (Yellowtail) / alternativ Swordfish
1 Tbsp (Tablespoon) sake
2 tsp (Teaspoon) soy sauce
2 vinegar-pickled ginger shoots
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 Tbsp sake
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp miring sweet cooking sake

*Preparation

1. Soak the Amberjack fillets in 1 Tbsp sake and 2 tsp soy sauce for about 10 min. Wipe off the moisture.

2. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the fillets. When browned, turn over, cover the pan and fry the other side over a low heat.

3.For the Teriyaki sauce mix 1 tsp sugar with 1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce and 2 Tbsp miring.

4.Remove excess oil from the frying pan with a paper kitchen towel. Put the sauce and simmer it while coating the fish with the sauce thoroughly.

5. Arrange the fillets on plates, and garnish with vinegar-pickled pinger shoots.

This is a recipe from this very nice book written in Japanese and English...



To be honest I think that what I really appreciate during the cooking class is the part where we eat in the "Tatami room" on all this great Japanese dishware. I'm so jealous about my teacher's collection. I could buy so much of them but I really don't cook often enough Japanese meals. On the other side it's not really necessary because it's also possible to use them as decorations or boxes in the bathroom,



Or in the kitchen or living room for example...


1 comment:

  1. Ich verfolge Dein Leben in Japan so gerne! Es ist ein Eintauchen in eine andere Kultur und Du lässt uns daran teilhaben - wunderbar!

    ReplyDelete